First course: Cream of mushroom soup
One of my favorite things I've learned in school is how to make cream of "fill-in-the-blank" soups. Move over Campbells! Never again will I eat soup out of a can! It's a basic chicken veloute with sliced white mushrooms simmered in the veloute and a touch of cream. I took a page out of Curry House's book and served the soup in teacups.

Second course: Seared scallops served with a mango and jicama salad
The mango and jicama salad was dressed with a little rice vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and sugar, and garnished with green onions and chopped cilantro.

Third course and main entree: Sesame and panko crusted halibut with spring pea risotto and a mango lemongrass reduction
The halibut fillets were dredged in a little flour, panko and finally black and tan sesame seeds and then quickly seared on each side. I love fresh spring peas (they come in the pod and you have to shell them yourself) and I love them even more in risotto! For the reduction, I used the leftover mango from the salad, pureed it and cooked it down slowly with lemongrass, mirin, a little sugar and a pinch of cayenne - delish :). It paired very nicely with the halibut.

And last but not least, dessert!!! In my last post, I wrote about how much I missed my Kitchenaid, so I decided to make a plum tart for dessert (recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart). My neighbor gave me a jar of homemade plum jam the other day, so I used it in the tart and substituted pluots for the plums. The result was pretty amazing if I say so myself :).

So with my plum tart cravings satisfied, I feel content to let the summer season go and embrace the fall season and all the lovely foods it brings. Time for butternut squash soup and pumpkin pie!
Ooooo NOMNOMNOM. I can't wait to try my tongue on some of these someday. :)
ReplyDeleteseriously can we try too?! the food looks SO good sue :)
ReplyDelete