
It was really fun and during the tour we met their llama, Bart. Truly, he is the ugliest llama I have ever met, but he was really friendly and very sweet. In order to get to know you, Bart gets really close to you, like literally an inch from your face, so he can sniff you out. It's really funny when he's not doing it to you :).
During the tour, they explained that llamas are natural bodyguards for goats. Before Bart came to live at Harley Farms, some evil-doers came in the middle of night and stole many of their goats. Bart was injured, I think and needed a home, and so the kind souls at the farm adopted him so he could shepherd the goats. Security problem solved!
Sadly, I received an email this week saying that Bart passed away in January :( and Harley Farms is having a memorial service for him this coming Sunday at the farm. I'm a fan of their Facebook page and there has been such an outpouring from the fans at this news - it's really quite touching! So I thought I would post a few pics in memoriam since I've told many of you about the farm and how worthwhile the tour is, but when/if you go, you won't have the chance to meet Bart....
Here he is (look at his teeth :D).....

I know this is a strange post, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Bart and just wanted to do my part to remember him :).
Aw, that's sad. Hope he's sniffing out some greener pastures.
ReplyDelete